Buffalo Chicken Super Bowl Cupcakes
OK, so judging by the title your probably thinking…ewwwww gross. That’s exactly what I thought too, but I’m actually going to make these! I like to be a little different, and this is definitely something different. It gives people something to talk about. 😉 SO here is your SUPER BOWL pre-show! haha. GO GIANTS! (only because my Raiders are not playing, I gotta for the underdog!) Enjoy! If your interested in checking out the tutorial, please go to
Buffalo Chicken Cupcake Recipe
Yield: 10 cupcakes
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I recommend a hot sauce that is typically used for Buffalo chicken. Frank’s is the classic choice. I used Bella’s Medium Wing Sauce.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat, heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted.
- Add the blue cheese and mix periodically until blue cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg.
- Once the hot sauce mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the sour cream mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- In another small bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
To make the blue cheese buttercream frosting:
- Mix blue cheese on high speed until smooth.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Just before serving, top the cupcakes with buffalo chicken wings or buffalo chicken drummettes. Imagine the frosting as a sweet blue cheese dip and dig in!